Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Measures

So this is Mattye's husband, Jason. When we got married, she accused me of being a stick-figure... 13 years has done a number on that accusation, I'm afraid. As things stand, my heaviest was 245 at the beginning of the year. Right now I have it down to the mid 220's. Where did it come from? Bad diet, stress, no real exercise until the last 6 months, and some still painful injuries from an ill fated attempt to join the Army. Honestly I don't care about my weight or my waistline at this point in the game. Those measurements are so fluid and not reflective of health. My goal is to get my body fat percentage down to 12-15%. Unfortunately, at this point, that means cutting my current percentage in half (30%). My "moment" was when my blood work came back as moving towards diabetic. Diet alone wasn't cutting it for weight loss or blood sugar. So at this juncture, that means I start working out, and for serious, or I'm looking at lifetime medications. I think I'd far prefer lifetime fitness (pun intended). One of the best ways to burn fat is not to do scads of cardio but to up the body's basal (resting) metabolism. And the best way to do that safely is to increase muscle mass. Shucky darn. That means I have to pump *clap* me up! There is surprising a large library of good science on strength training and I plan to add comments and discussions as I go along with my routine. Well, I can't think of much else to say at the moment... more to come!

-JT

No comments:

Post a Comment